Unfortunately, terms like 'ID theft' and 'Fraud' are all too familiar nowadays. We are very aware of the threat and concerns you have regarding such issues, which is why fraud prevention is of paramount importance to us.
We know our customers. Every day we monitor activity on Multi-currency Cash Passport Prepaid MasterCard to detect unusual behaviour, and if we spot something uncharacteristic, we'll contact you to verify your transactions.
How to help ensure the security of your Card:
- Sign your Card immediately when you receive it
- Check your transactions regularly through 'My Account' and report anything unusual immediately
- If you print statements from the internet, keep them safe and shred them when you've finished using them
- Never give your personal details to someone who phones you claiming to be from a reputable company
- Don't give out your details in response to unsolicited email
- Be wary of anyone who asks for common security details like your mother's maiden name, date of birth, or information about your work
- Never give your PIN to anyone, not even if they claim to be from your Card issuer
- Don't let yourself get distracted when using ATMs or point of sale terminals - somebody may be trying to get to know your PIN
Never write down your PIN or keep it with the Card. Be very alert when using ATMs, and ensure that:
- The machine has not been tampered with
- Nobody can watch you entering your PIN
- Card and cash are concealed and safe before you leave the machine
- You retain any printed records for safe disposal at a later time
If your Card is retained, please contact Card Services immediately, for assistance.
Always keep your Card in sight when making a purchase or it may get skimmed.
"Skimming" occurs when the genuine data on a card's magnetic strip is electronically copied onto another card, allowing fraudsters to steal the funds on a card. This can happen at petrol stations, restaurants, bars and ATMs. Skimmed information is often sold on to organised crime groups.
DON'T GET CAUGHT IN THE NET
When online, it's important that you use a secure browser. A browser such as Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox will indicate whether the website you are visiting is secure or not. These browsers scramble your personal data before sending it, so no one else can read it. Ensure that your computer has up-to-date virus protection software. A firewall will also help protect you from attacks.
TO BUY, OR NOT TO BUY
Know who you are dealing with. Use reputable companies and services and type their internet address into the browser yourself.
Don't give out your details in response to unsolicited emails and if the website gives you the option of using a secure checkout, opt for yes.
Just as you save till receipts in case you need to return or exchange something, you need to keep a record of all transactions too. Print and save a copy of your completed order form and confirmation.
"Phishing" is an attempt by fraudsters to "fish" for card, account or personal details. Phishing attempts usually appear as an email, apparently from your bank or card issuer, often falsely concerned with your security. You are then encouraged to click a link to a fraudulent log in page, which in reality has been designed to capture your details.
If we contact you by email, we will NEVER ask you to click on a link that directs you to enter or confirm your security details. If you are in any doubt regarding the authenticity of an email regarding your Multi-currency Cash Passport Prepaid MasterCard telephone our Card Services team immediately for clarification.
"Pharming" employs the same type of tricks as Phishing to lure you to a site address, but uses hidden software to redirect you from real websites to the fraudulent ones.
This is particularly clever as it hijacks trusted brands of well-known banks, online retailers and card issuing companies and convinces you to respond under cover of trust to enter your personal details.
Remember, if you are asked to type your PIN into a website along with your Card details, it is probably a fraudulent website, and you should close the browser and contact Card Services immediately.
LOST AND STOLEN CARDS
If you lose your Multi-currency Cash Passport Prepaid MasterCard or it is stolen, reporting this to Card Services immediately will help protect the funds on the Card. Our dedicated team is on hand 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to help you get back to enjoying your travels.